Amateur Golf – Event Day Management, Live Scoring
The Royal & Ancient of St Andrews (R&A) organises several amateur golf tournaments each season.
As part of the services provided by The PPL Group to the R&A, we manage live event scoring and look after the trophies at up to 14 amateur events across the UK & Ireland, as well as at the four Open Qualifier events held simultaneously before The Open Championship.
Bespoke Build, Event Branding, Installation, Management, Screens & Video Walls
Client / Year
Royal & Ancient of St Andrews / Annually
To run the live scoring for the golf event, across a mix of digital and manual scoreboards, assisted by a volunteer workforce provided by the club/venue. Each golf event is categorised from A+ to E and for each category, there may be slight changes to how the PPL Golf Team operate/manages the scoring.
The team also have additional management responsibilities including being entrusted to look after the trophies.
Event Scoring: The PPL Group provide the digital and manual infrastructure, as part of a wider event branding build.
- Volunteers are trained and equipped with tablets and radios.
- Volunteers are positioned on tees 3,6,9,12,15 and 17.
- Volunteers input the scores onto the system (or via radio if connectivity is not possible)
- The information is double-checked by the PPL Golf Team and uploaded to the live electronic scoreboard.
- The manual scoreboards are updated every 30 minutes, the slats are also printed by The PPL Group,
- We are entrusted to look after the tournament trophy, moving it to and from the first tee, the display location and ensuring it is in position for the trophy ceremony at the end of the tournament.
Additional areas of management:
- Water fountains: ensuring the water fountains around the course and player areas are full.
- R&A ad-hoc activities: we are on hand to help the R&A tournament manager with any ad-hoc activities that may be required.
The PPL Group have been providing services to the R&A since the 1950s when the company was commissioned to publish the programme. Since the late 1980s, we have been working across many R&A Amateur events and The Open providing services including event branding, LED Screens, live event scoring, programme publishing/sales and more.
Do you have a similiar project we could help you with?Get in touch