Branding The Open Championship
Creative Services* first worked on branding The Open Championship at the 110th Open at St. George’s in 1981. The company is proud to have continuously worked on every open since.
Bespoke Build, Bespoke Event Installations, Design, Event Branding, Hand Finished, Large Format Printing, LED Video Walls, Management, Onsite Sales, Publishing, Signage, Vehicle Livery, Wayfinding
Client / Year
The Royal & Ancient / 1981 to present day
The R&A has been a client of PPL for 60+ years. For 42 of those years, PPL has worked on the event branding for The Open Championship. Here is a brief overview of what The PPL Group has contributed to the 151st Open Championship at Royal Liverpool.
Branding The Open Championship 2023
- 15,000 sqm internal fit-out of the media centre.
- Event programmes designed and printed; sold on-site or delivered to hospitality.
- Pin flags designs, produced, used on the course or sold at retail.
- Over 3,000 miscellaneous items including bag tags, hand-bats (inc. the fans favourite the Quiet signs) crossing post covers and finger posts.
- 1,560 names produced for scoreboards, caddie patches, and carry boards.
- Over 100 official vehicles fitted with livery.
- 100-day on-site build.
- 30+ national flags.
- 20 tee boards and drinks units.
- 18 LED screens – one for each hole.
- 4 manual scoreboards.
- 2 iconic yellow leaderboards.
- 1 trophy plinth, including presenting the Claret Jug each day on the plinth at the first tee.
- 1 Sustainability Hub – which was designed and built only weeks before the Championship started
PPL are proud of our long association with The Open, during the last 42 Championships we have worked with The R&A on several innovations including in 2014 adding the LED Video Walls to each of the 18 holes; designed to withstand the most extreme of weather, they are now an essential part of the fan experience.
We are open to new branding opportunities and challenges; the new Sustainability Hub was designed and built in less than 3 weeks after The R&A gave us the concept. With hundreds of people visiting it in the practice ground.
In the last couple of years, the PPL Group have also dressed events including the World Gymnastics Championship 2022 for Liverpool City Council and The R&A including the Amateur Open, The Women’s Open, Walker Cup and the inaugural G4D Open in 2023.
*Creative Services later merged with The Open Championship programme publisher, Programme Publications to form The PPL Group.
Do you have a similiar project we could help you with?Get in touch